First off, let me say that I really like DIY Map. It’s quick, and responsive, with an easy to use interface, as well as allowing you to make changes on the fly easily.
First of all, the only way I’ve been able to get paths to resources to work is via relative paths. More on why I think that is the case in a moment. I was finding that resources were not being found until I used relative paths. Once I did so, that part worked just fine.
Second, in order to be able to update the map, it needs to be fed an XML data file, which is fine. Wherein lies the trouble is when you are attempting to feed a dynamic file (like a cgi script or php) — I’ve not been able to get it to work, despite having the right data in the output and the proper content type — the data works just fine when loaded from a file, however… So, my workaround is to write to a temporary file and use that file to make the changes.
4+ hours spent on this. Meh. It’d be a bit more amusing if I’d gotten more sleep. I napped for about an hour around midnight, and another nap at 7:30am until I had to get up for work @ 9.